Writing a Movie Review Essay? Here’s What You Should Do
Well, in order to understand what to write in a movie review, it is necessary to understand what the purpose of writing a movie review is. In simple terms, you can say that a movie review helps you look into, and appreciate a film closer than a casual viewer can do. It can cover a number of aspects ranging from the plot of the movie, costumes, tone, symbols, dialogues, camera, lighting, characters, and a number of other elements. Thus, by writing a movie review, you become more creative with more knowledge about different aspects of a movie.
Now, let’s see the important points you should remember while producing a movie review, to be effective.
The name- Yes, the name. When it is a movie or a documentary, the name is very significant and it is not a wise idea to ignore it altogether. Look into its meaning, appropriacy, and effectiveness. This will give the reader a feeling that you have fully immersed yourself into the movie or documentary from the very beginning with a critical eye.
How the movie is linked to your class- Yes, when you write a movie review as a part of your college education, it is necessary for you to link your essay to what you have learnt in the class. You can point out what seems similar, what is dissimilar, and what new you have observed in the film. Thus, the movie review becomes a practical way to internalize the theory you have learnt.
Don’t leave out the director- In the case of a movie; the director is the key person behind its creation. Therefore, make sure that you are giving sufficient space to detail the history of the director. This involves his or her important achievements, special features, controversies, and significance.
The casting- Well, while everything else works in the background, the actors are the people who take away much of the acclaim when a casual viewer watches a cinema. The performance of each actor and their suitability to the character they play, any actor showing exceptionally good performance, are all the characters important for the story, and a number of other points need to be elaborated in this area.
The elements- Elements? Yes, the creative elements. Some important elements are color, sound, costumes, and camera. For example, a film that portrays the sixteenth century is supposed to have costumes different from the ones in the 21st century. A costume that does not match the genre and plot of a movie will have a negative impact on the effectiveness of the movie. Similarly, a film can create a particular mood simply by using colors effectively. The same is true about camera as well. Similarly, camera movement and angle can decide whether a movie is dynamic or monotonous.
Write it for somebody who hasn’t watched- Well, that is important. When you write the summary for somebody who has already watched the movie or documentary, it is highly likely that you will forget to mention some areas of the movie as you think the reader has already watched it. Instead of that, write the movie summary for a person who has not watched the movie and with the intention to provide them a complete picture. While doing this, give your opinion whether the filmmaker has succeeded in the effort and support your opinion with examples from the film.
Quite a lot of information. Isn’t it? Now let’s see how to organize all these into a good movie review.
Dealing with a Movie Review Writing Assignment
Here is a simple and effective outline you can follow while writing your movie review assignment. Remember, the outline is not unchangeable. Your professor may ask you to write in a different format.
- Start your work with a title that indicates the name of the film or documentary you intend to review.
- Following the title, write an introduction of the work, providing details regarding the film. The important details to be covered in this section include the name of the film, any useful information regarding the background, and the release date of the film.
- The next section is a summary of the film or documentary. While writing this, remember that your reader has not watched the film and write accordingly. It should be followed by an analysis of the plot, for example, whether the scenes are logically arranged to crisis and climax.
- Once the plot is operated upon, it is time to move on to the creative elements of the movie, including the costumes, colors, camera, dialogues, and so on.
- Following this, write your opinion regarding the movie or documentary and provide examples from within the movie to support it.
- Finally, conclude the work by stating whether you think the director is successful in conveying what he intended. In addition, make sure that you state how this review has helped you internalize what you have learnt in the class.
Problems with Movie Reviews? We Can Help
Well, all these things are better said than done. I am looking for somebody help me movie review. Don’t worry. We have years of experience writing excellent movie reviews for students and professionals. If you think you will not be able to write an effective movie review to the taste of your professor, have a tight deadline which you will not be able to meet, or are not sure about the dynamics of an excellent movie review, use our movie review writing service to get good quality reviews that does not burn a hole in your pocket. Yes, our service is reliable, quick, and affordable. This is the reason that makes us the first choice of thousands of students across the globe when they want to buy movie jackets review. Need help? Just talk to our dedicated 24/7 Student Support now.